No One Injured in GWU Dover Campus Center Kitchen Fire

Print Friendly

 

Last Updated: 10:33 a.m.

BOILING SPRINGS, N.C.— Around 7:00 a.m. on Saturday, May 19, an industrial dishwasher caught fire in the kitchen area of Gardner-Webb University’s Dover Campus Center (DCC).  The fire was contained to the dishwasher area, and no one was injured.

At 6:50 a.m., University cafeteria workers arrived as usual to prepare meals for a summer camp currently taking place on campus.  Around 7:00 a.m., the dishwasher caught fire.  The cafeteria staff immediately called University Police, and began fighting the blaze with fire extinguishers.

By 7:11, four area fire departments began to respond, and the cafeteria workers left the building.  No one was injured.

The Boiling Springs, Shanghai, Number Seven, and Shelby Fire Departments all responded, along with Cleveland County EMS.  The fire was ultimately contained to the dishwasher area and extinguished.

Fire alarms and area specific sprinklers both worked properly during the fire.

According to Doc Tallent, of the Cleveland County Fire Marshal’s office, a machine malfunction was the official cause of the fire.

University officials anticipate that the cafeteria facilities will reopen sometime on Monday.  In the meantime, Gardner-Webb will provide meals at alternate locations for the campers.

GWU summer school classes begin on May 24.