Administrative Policy

(Applicable to any student, undergraduate or graduate, residing in University-owned housing)


Housing Policy Regarding Age


Student housing in University-owned facilities is limited to incoming, traditional age college students, i.e. those seventeen (17) years of age to twenty-three (23) years of age, unless otherwise approved by Housing and Residence Education or Student Development administrators.


Early Arrival and Late Departure Fee


Housing and Residence Education reserves the right to review, approve, and/or deny early arrival and late departure requests. If the request is approved a $25.00 per-day charge may be assessed to the appropriate student account.


Housing Contract Policy as Related To Academic Load


Undergraduate students must be enrolled on a full-time basis (12 semester hours) to qualify to live in University Housing and Residence Education Facilities. Undergraduate students residing in University housing who reduce their academic load to less than 12 hours through withdrawing or Administrative F’s (@F), must complete a Full-Time Status Waiver application and have it approved by University Housing and Residence Education. The Housing Contract term is in effect for the academic year (Fall through Spring).


Students residing in Housing and Residence Education facilities during the summer must be enrolled in Gardner-Webb University classes each summer session.


Meal Plan Reductions Prior to Drop/Add


Any student requesting to have his/her meal plan terminated prior to the drop/add period will be charged for the meals eaten at the applicable rate plus any flex dollars used.


Room Reductions After Drop/Add


In the event a student continues to be enrolled for classes and is approved or required by the Office of Housing and Residence Education to move from University Housing to off campus housing during a semester, there will be no charge reduction for the room charges.


Authorized Entry into Student Room


It is the desire of the University to respect the student's right to privacy without arbitrary and capricious invasion; however, the University reserves the right to enter a student's room under the following conditions:


1. to verify occupancy;


2. for health and safety inspections (this includes checking University owned appliances)


3. to check for cleanliness;


4. to make necessary repairs and/or inventories;


5. when there is reasonable cause to believe that activities are taking place that are detrimental to the University community; or where the health, safety or welfare of a Gardner-Webb University student is in jeopardy;


6. when there is reasonable cause to believe that a violation of law or University guideline, policy, or rule is taking place.


It is not necessary that the student be present or contacted in advance when the room is entered for such reasons. Searches of and seizures from a student's room must be approved by an appropriate University official, such as the Area and Administrative Services Coordinator, Assistant Director of Residence Education, the Director of Housing and Residence Education, the Vice President and Dean of Student Development, or the President of the University.


Searches by civil authorities are governed by state and federal statutes that differ from Gardner-Webb University guidelines.


Common Area Damages -The Department of Housing and Residence Education is committed to developing positive living/learning environments on campus. One factor that is critical to the attainment of this goal is the encouragement of a sense of community among the residents of any particular living unit. is sense of community infers a sense of responsibility and respect for one's fellow residents, as well as the facility where one resides. The Department of Housing and Residence Education strives to keep the residential facilities attractive, functional and safe for residents and guests.


Controlling damages/vandalism requires effort by students and staff. Damages/vandalism not only detracts from the appearance, usefulness and/or safety of the facilities but also are very costly. In the cases that the residents or staffs are unable to determine the person(s) responsible for damages, the costs of repairs must be paid by all residents of the residential unit. To the extent that responsible person(s) can be identified, billed, and fined, the room costs and damage deposit for other residents will not be affected. Based on this, the Department of Housing and Residence Education uses a common area damage billing policy. The Department will charge the student account and members of a particular living unit for any damages that occur within a living unit that cannot be attributed to specific individual(s). A living unit will generally be defined as all facilities, equipment, and furnishings of any given floor or area. In order for this policy to be fair and effective, all residents within a particular living unit must work to develop a positive environment for themselves. This will include respect for facilities and furnishings of that living unit, as well as the willingness to take responsibility for damages caused by oneself and one's guests. When this does not happen, and when residents are not willing to confront, report those responsible for damages, then members of that living unit will take on the burden of paying for these damages. In either case this enables the Department to bill damages directly to individuals or groups of individuals on floors.


Fire Alarm Policy - Residential facilities are equipped with fire alarms. Once each semester a fire drill will be held. Students are required to evacuate the building according to their residential facility plan. Tampering with Fire Safety Equipment is prohibited.


Steps To Follow In a FIRE Evacuation:


Steps to follow in a fire evacuation:


• Close windows and leave lights on in room


• Feel door, if cool, and then depart from room closing the door behind you.




• Walk - don't run - to the exit. Meet at designated emergency location.


• Do not return to building until the all-clear signal is given or a staff member tells you to re-enter.


It is prohibited behavior with a minimum penalty of suspension from the University for anyone found responsible of intentionally setting a fire. Students who do not evacuate during a fire alarm will be held responsible for Failure to Evacuate with a minimum fine of $75 and Disciplinary Probation. If you notice a fire, call 911 (9-911 if using hall or office phone) to report the emergency. You may also call University Police at ext. 4444. Fire alarms are located on each floor for emergency use only. Any student found responsible for pulling a fire alarm or removing a battery from an in-room smoke detector will receive a minimum $75 fine and be placed on disciplinary probation. Students found responsible for tampering/disabling a University fire alarm system will be subject to disciplinary probation and removal from campus housing. Students found continuously activating the fire alarm without malice or intent will be processed through Student Conduct. See the Code of Student Conduct for more information.


Note: The University is not responsible for loss of personal property due to fire or water damage from any source. Students are advised to consult with parents regarding their homeowner’s insurance policy or obtain a renter’s insurance policy.


University Property Damage Statement

 “A student(s) in or related to the immediate vicinity of a fire may be asked to conference with the responding University Official to determine if his/her actions or lack thereof created an unsafe environment. As a result, the student(s) may be held accountable for full or partial restitution of the damage affiliated with the incident.”


Hall Facility Usage -Housing Common areas may not be reserved for non-housing sponsored events.


Off-Campus Residency Requirements - All undergraduate students are required to live on campus with the following exceptions:


1) living with parents or guardian;


2) 21 years of age or older prior to beginning of contract/academic year;


3) lived in a university residence hall six fall/spring semesters;


4) achieved 90 semester hours of college credit prior to contract/academic year;


5) married;


6) part-time student (less than 12 hours);


7) 120 days of active military duty (does not include military reserve unless called for active duty).


Room and Board Reductions - In the event a student continues to be enrolled in classes and chooses to move from University Housing to off campus housing during a semester there will be no charge reductions for room charges. If a student is moved from the University apartments and suites to the residence halls for discipline reasons, there will be no reduction or credit to the student’s account. The student moving off campus may request to have his/her meal plan terminated at that time and receive a limited pro-rata charge reduction for meals. The meal plan reduction amount will equal the percentage of the semester remaining, times fifty percent, times the original plan rate. To have the meal plan terminated and receive this reduction the student must contact the Business Office, once approved to move off campus by the Office of Housing and Residence Education and have moved.


Overflow Housing - In cases of over occupancy, students may be required to stay in a temporary location until space is available. Students are accountable for University policies in these locations. Overflow housing may not have the same amenities as the residential campus. Every effort will be made to move students in overflow housing to a permanent assignment as soon as possible.


Personal Property Loss -The University cannot accept responsibility for personal items. Personal items of value such as electronic devices should be properly insured. It is the responsibility of each student to lock his or her room whenever unattended. In addition, the University is not responsible for personal items lost in fires, floods or other forms of disaster.

Each student should check their parent’s homeowner’s insurance policy for possible coverage or make arrangements for additional coverage, if desired.


Room Consolidation Policy - If a student is left without a roommate for any reason within the first 3 weeks (or reasonable time which is determined by the Housing and Residence Education Staff) of any semester, the student may be required to consolidate rooms unless he/she agrees to pay the private room fee. This policy ensures that all persons having the privilege of a private room are treated equitably. Further, this policy allows for economical use of space, optimum time for repairs and conservation of energy. Being required to consolidate means that the student will either have to select a new roommate or will have to move to another room. Students will be given the option to choose their own roommate and decide who is going to move. It is our experience that students are happiest and learn the most from the experience when they select their own roommate and room. The University reserves the right to assess the private room fee, to reassign the student to another room, or to assign the student a new roommate.


Private Rooms - Private rooms are assigned only when space is available or when the room is designated a single room. A private room charge is assessed to the student for a private room. Students wishing to use a triple room as a private room will be charged double the normal rate. Private rooms may be cancelled at any time by the University.


Room Deposit - An advance, non-refundable, deposit of $150 is required prior to room selection. This payment goes toward the appropriate semester payment. Students or their roommates cannot select or hold a room until each have paid a deposit and follow the published room selection guidelines.


Residence Hall Security Deposit - A $75 deposit is required of every first year student. This fee may be used by the University to address facility concerns during the student’s enrollment. If funds are not used, the student will be refunded after graduation/final departure.