Visa & Passport Renewal

Visa Renewal

A Visa cannot be renewed within the US.


You must travel outside the US to obtain a new visa. You may travel to a “third-party” country (a country that is not your home country) to apply for a new visa such as Canada or Mexico but it is very risky to apply for a visa outside of your home country. If your visa is denied, you must return to your home country to apply for the visa again before being able to return to the US.


***Attempting to renew your visa in a "third-party" country is very risky and not recommended.


The F-1 visa has an expiration date listed on the visa stamp. You can remain in the US with an expired visa as long as your I-20 is valid. Think of your visa as a "ticket" that allows you to enter into the US. If you travel outside the US with an expired visa you must apply for and obtain a new visa in order to return to the US.


In order to study in the US, you must have a valid passport, valid Form I-20 and a visa. The visa can be expired but the Form I-20 must be valid at all times to remain in status.


The US Department of State has a rule referred to as Automatic Revalidation of Visa that can be used to travel to Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean islands other than Cuba. Information on this rule can be found on the Office of International Programs Travel and Re-entry page.


Passport Renewal


A passport is a document issued by a country to a citizen allowing that person to travel abroad and re-enter the home country.


You must have a valid passport while studying in the United States. You can renew an expiring passport while in the United States. If your passport is going to expire within six months, you can apply for and receive a new passport while in the US. You should refer to your home country's Embassy in the US for information on how to renew your passport.


The Office of International Programs can help you with any questions that you may have about your visa or passport renewal.