Evacuation of the University will generally fall into two categories:
- Limited evacuation of a building or designated area.
- General evacuation of the entire campus.
In general, you should plan ahead for possible evacuations. Know evacuation routes from your office or classroom and the campus.
- If the fire alarm is activated, leave the building immediately.
- Do not assume it is a false alarm. Do not return for personal items.
- Do not go into the restrooms.
- Do not use the elevators.
- Direct visitors or anyone needing assistance to stairwells and exits.
- When you are outside, check in with your supervisor, department personnel or instructor so everyone can be accounted for.
- Make sure you have your GWU and personal identification with you.
- All traffic will be directed away from light
- Students with vehicles are to leave campus
- Students without vehicles go to LYCC lot for pick-up
- Boiling Springs Baptist Church is the primary off campus pick-up/drop off location.
- Evacuation should be swift and orderly.
- Students Faculty & Staff will be informed via text message and local media outlets
when it is permitted to return to campus.
- Transportation to Boiling Springs Baptist will be provided by GWU 15 passenger vans, BSBC buses and FHBC buses.
- Temporary shelter and food (as soon as possible) will be available.
- Every attempt will be made to seek accountability for each student.
- Students are encouraged to contact immediate family members and inform them about their status and well being.
- Residence Education Staff will be monitoring and observing all student activities during the period students are at the primary Evac Site.
- Law Enforcement (Sweep Teams) will make several security sweeps through campus to ensure everyone is out.
- Return to campus for medication, and other life threatening reasons will be made by Law Enforcement Officers only.
- 3 Police officers (crowd control) 2 Police officers (runners) and 10 Residence Education Professional Staff will man the shelter.