Introduction to Gardner-Webb University
INTRODUCTION TO GARDNER-WEBB
Gardner-Webb University is a coeducational, residential, church-related university on a beautiful campus in Boiling Springs, North Carolina. The University derives its name from O. Max Gardner, distinguished governor of North Carolina in the 1930s, and his wife, Fay Webb Gardner. The beauty of the campus and the quality of the academic program owe much to their example and leadership.
Gardner-Webb University is located in the Piedmont section of western North Carolina, one of the country’s most desirable and rapidly developing areas. Set in the small rural town of Boiling Springs, Gardner-Webb offers a small-school atmosphere, close proximity to several major cities, and easy access to the recreational opportunities in the nearby Appalachian and Smoky Mountains.
The University is easily accessible, located only three miles from U.S. 74 and thirteen miles from Interstate 85. Nearby Shelby, a city of 21,000, is a thriving community known for its support of the arts and for the many state and national leaders it has produced. Just 45 miles east of Gardner-Webb is Charlotte, N.C., the fastest-growing city in the United States. Within an hour south of campus are the cities of Spartanburg and Greenville, S.C. The historically rich mountain city of Asheville, N.C., a cultural center of the region, is located just one hour to the west.
Gardner-Webb University, founded by Baptists in 1905, has grown steadily to its current enrollment of nearly 5,000 students. Over 2,600 undergraduates come from 37 states and 21 foreign countries. Women compose 63% of the student population, and the student body includes several racial and socioeconomic groups. Gardner-Webb University admits students of any race, sex, religion, and national or ethnic origin without discrimination. This diversity enriches the life of the campus community and prepares students for engaged service and citizenship and their diverse communities.
Gardner-Webb University offers a comprehensive academic experience that introduces undergraduate and graduate students to the diverse world of ideas and to the people who think them, challenging students spiritually and intellectually and equipping them not only for professional success but for lives marked by empathy, compassion and a commitment to service on the broadest scale. All of the programs at Gardner-Webb are evaluated periodically by accrediting agencies to insure that standards of quality are maintained.
Gardner-Webb provides three distinct academic programs: the traditional undergraduate program, the GOAL program (evening classes taught in a number of locations for graduates of two-year colleges), and graduate programs. Gardner-Webb University has a Graduate School offering M.A. degrees in several areas, the M.S. degree in nursing, the M.A./Ed.S. in Mental Health Counseling, the Ed.D. degree in Educational Leadership and in Curriculum and Instruction, and the D.N.P. (Doctor of Nursing Practice) degree; a School of Divinity offering the M.Div. and D.Min. degrees; a College of Health Sciences offering the Master of Physician Assistant Studies degree; and a Graduate School of Business offering the M.B.A., I.M.B.A., and M.Acc. degrees. For additional information on the GOAL and Graduate programs, see the bulletins for each program.
The undergraduate on-campus program is designed to help the student gain maximum benefit by providing a balanced curriculum in general studies, a major field, minor(s) and selected electives. Students are encouraged to develop a proficiency in the oral and written use of the English language, an appreciation of cultural, social and scientific achievements, and an awareness of religion and history. The upper-level courses provide opportunities for concentration in the areas of special interest and in professional and careeroriented fields. To meet such individual needs the academic program includes independent study and career internships.
Complementing the academic program at Gardner-Webb University is a broad range of student life programs and activities designed to enable students to develop their personal identities and to create lifetime friendships.
Gardner-Webb University is blessed with a dedicated staff and an excellent faculty, 80% of whom hold terminal degrees. The primary concern of the faculty is teaching. The faculty have been chosen because of their academic preparation, their Christian commitment, and their desire for excellence in teaching. Many of Gardner-Webb’s faculty have honored the University with long years of service. The faculty is large enough to provide well-rounded academic programs. Yet a major strength of Gardner-Webb is that the University has remained small enough so that the relationship between faculty and students is friendly, informal and lasting. The faculty/student ratio is 1:13.
The University’s academic year is divided into two semesters and a summer school. For undergraduate and most graduate students, the fall semester is a four-month term, ending prior to Christmas holidays. Following the four-month spring semester is a comprehensive summer school of two terms of five weeks each or, for some courses, one ten-week term. Evening classes both on-campus and at various off-campus locations are offered throughout the year.
Summer school serves the purposes mentioned above and also provides an opportunity for new students or students enrolled in other colleges to accelerate completion of degree requirements.
Various study-abroad programs complement the academic calendar.
The University offers workshops and seminars on a variety of topics and for a variety of groups throughout the year.
Gardner-Webb’s journey from a boarding high school to a thriving regional University is marked by remarkable growth, great determination, and unyielding perseverance. In 1903, the Kings Mountain and Sandy Run Baptist Associations conceived a vision of an institution of learning where young students would enjoy “the best possible educational advantages under distinctive Christian influence.” On December 2, 1905, the Boiling Springs High School, Gardner-Webb’s predecessor, was chartered. Even today, the University’s relationship with area churches is still strong.
The institution was transformed into a junior college in 1928, and only survived the catastrophic Great Depression through God’s providential grace and the tireless efforts of numerous trustees and local champions of Christian education. Then in 1942, N.C. Governor and Shelby native O. Max Gardner began devoting time and energy toward strengthening and guiding the College. In recognition of his efforts, those of his wife, Fay Webb Gardner, and their families, the school’s name was changed to Gardner-Webb College.
After World War II, the College experienced steady physical growth and academic development. New buildings sprang up, enrollments increased, and by the end of the 1960s, the College was ready to transition to a four-year institution. In 1971, Gardner-Webb earned its full accreditation as a senior college, and nine years later it began offering its first master’s degree in education.
In 1978, the College became an early pioneer of modern distance education by launching the groundbreaking Greater Opportunities for Adult Learners (GOAL) Program. The GOAL Program enabled working adults to take evening classes close to home and complete their bachelor’s degrees, a truly novel idea for its time. Today, Gardner-Webb’s GOAL classes are available at 16 centers across North Carolina.
The institution officially became Gardner-Webb University in January 1993, and in 2001—four years shy of its centennial—the University began offering its first doctorate (Doctor of Ministry). Today, Gardner-Webb offers a host of undergraduate and graduate degree programs, including four doctoral programs in ministry, educational leadership, curriculum and instruction, and as of 2012, nursing practice.
In 2006, Dr. A. Frank Bonner was inaugurated as Gardner-Webb’s 12th President, ushering in the University’s latest era of remarkable growth. Under Bonner’s leadership, Gardner-Webb has achieved record enrollments, built impressive new buildings like the newly opened Tucker Student Center, and earned national acclaim for academic quality and student achievement. Most important, though, the University has reaffirmed its commitment to the guiding and sustaining principles of faith, service, and leadership, and to preparing graduates for lives of lasting impact, “For God and Humanity.”
James Blaine Davis, 1928-30; Zeno Wall, 1930-32; James L. Jenkins, 1932-35; A.C. Lovelace, 1935-36; George J. Burnette, 1936-39; J.R. Cantrell, 1939-43; Philip Lovin Elliott, 1943-61; E. Eugene Poston, 1961-76; Craven E. Williams, 1976-86; M. Christopher White, 1986-2002; Frank R. Campbell, 2002-2005; A. Frank Bonner, 2005-.
Gardner-Webb University, a private, Christian, Baptist-related university, provides outstanding undergraduate and graduate education that is strongly grounded in the liberal arts while offering opportunities to prepare for various professions. Fostering meaningful intellectual thought, critical analysis, and spiritual challenge within a diverse community of learning, Gardner-Webb is dedicated to higher education that integrates scholarship with Christian life. By embracing faith and intellectual freedom, balancing conviction with compassion, and inspiring a love of learning, service, and leadership, Gardner-Webb prepares its graduates to make significant contributions for God and humanity in an ever-changing global community.
Acknowledging One God – Creator and Sustainer of life, and Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord; committing to self-giving service displayed in Christ-like moral action that respects the dignity and value of every person.
Affirming historic Baptist values such as the freedom of individual conscience and the right of people to worship God as they choose, the authority of Scripture in matters of faith and practice, the priesthood of every believer, the autonomy of the local church, and the separation of church and state.
Encouraging visible enthusiasm for knowledge, intellectual challenge, continuous learning, and scholarly endeavors; inviting pursuit of educational opportunities within and beyond the classroom for the joy of discovery; and inspiring accomplishment within one’s field of study.
Offering broad-based exposure to the arts, humanities and sciences and to each field’s unique challenges, contributions, and life lessons; complementing the acquisition of career-related knowledge and skills with well-rounded knowledge of self, others, and society.
Working collaboratively to support and promote shared goals, assuming responsibility willingly, meeting commitments dependably, handling disagreement constructively, and persevering despite distraction and adversity.
Providing students an environment that fosters intellectual and spiritual growth; encourages physical fitness, service, social and cultural enrichment; strengthens and develops moral character; and respects the value and individuality of every student.
Assisting campus, local, national, and global communities through education, outreach, and research; fostering dialogue and action in support of human welfare and environmental stewardship.
Studying and celebrating our world’s rich mix of cultures, ideologies, and ethnicities; respecting and welcoming students without regard to ethnicity, gender, religious commitment, national origin, or disability.
Gardner-Webb places a strong emphasis on academic excellence, and on the foundational values of faith, service, and leadership. Recently, Gardner-Webb has been recognized with several prestigious national awards celebrating the evidence of those values in our University life. The following are some of the most notable of those honors.
For five consecutive years, Gardner-Webb University has been named to the President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll. The Honor Roll, launched in 2006, recognizes colleges and universities nationwide that support innovative and effective community service and service-learning programs.
Gardner-Webb has been consistently selected by the U.S. News and World Report as one of America's Best Colleges, based on a wide range of categories including university mission, retention, academic quality and degree offerings. Most recently, Gardner-Webb's Online Graduate Business Program was ranked first in the nation for student services and technology, and was one of only 14 program nationwide to make the honor roll for overall quality.
Gardner-Webb University was awarded the Community Engagement Classification by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. The prestigious Classification recognizes those colleges and universities that exhibit an institutional commitment to community engagement and service.
AMERICAN COUNCIL OF TRUSTEES AND ALUMNI
In its annual "What Will They Learn?" Survey, the American Council of Trustees and Alumni ranked Gardner-Webb's core curriculum in the nation's top two percent for quality and breadth. Gardner-Webb was the only Carolinas institution and one of only 19 institutions nationwide to earn an "A" rating.
Gardner-Webb University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097: Telephone number 404-679-4501) to award Associate, Baccalaureate, Master’s, and Doctoral degrees. Inquiries to the Commission should relate only to the accreditation status of the institution and not to general admission information. In addition several departmental programs are accredited by the appropriate state or national agencies. The Education program is approved by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction and accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE, 2010 Massachusetts Ave. NW, Suite 500, Washington, DC 20036, 202-466-7496). The Music and Nursing programs are accredited, respectively, by the National Association of Schools of Music and the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc. (ACEN, 3343 Peachtree Rd. NE, Suite 850, Atlanta, GA 30326. Phone (404)975-5000, www.acenursing.org). The Associate Degree Nursing program is also approved by the North Carolina Board of Nursing. The M. Christopher White School of Divinity is accredited by the Association of Theological Schools of the United States and Canada. The Athletic Training Educational Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education Programs (CAATE). The School of Business is accredited by the Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP). The Mental Health Counseling and School Counseling graduate programs are accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP). The University is authorized by the immigration authorities of the United States for the education of foreign students.
The Gardner-Webb campus is beautiful, spacious, and rich in natural resources. It is designed and equipped to serve its living and learning community. Over 200 acres of rolling landscape provide more than adequate space for buildings, playing fields and landscaped areas. Extensive building and improvement projects have been completed in recent years. The present living and dining facilities are designed to serve a resident student body of approximately 1,375. Among the campus facilities and buildings are the following:
ALUMNI HOUSE, located on Highway 150, provides offices for Gardner-Webb Alumni Relations and the Bulldog Club.
THE ART CENTER is located behind the Communications Studies Hall. This building houses classroom space for art studio, art education and numerous art production courses.
ATHLETIC FIELDS consist of many acres of practice and playing fields situated around the campus for football, baseball, soccer and softball. There is adequate space for all sports, intramural and intercollegiate.
BLANTON HOUSE serves as a significant presence of the University in Shelby, NC. It is listed on the National Registry of Homes. In 1981, the children of George and Ida Wood Blanton gave their family home to Gardner-Webb.
BOST GYMNASIUM AND SWIMMING POOL is part of the University Physical Development Complex. Renovated in 1999, it is named in memory of L.C. Bost of Shelby and Jean Bost Gardner. The facility contains basketball courts and classroom areas. The swimming pool, renovated in 1999, is heated and enclosed for year-round use.
BROYHILL ADVENTURE COURSE was funded by the Broyhill Foundation and constructed in 1999. The Alpine Tower, the Climbing Straight Wall, and the Rescue Exercise provide leadership training activities for students and other groups.
CAMPUS HOUSE was acquired in 1968, and an addition was made in 1974. The house provides residential and study space for 31 students.
COMMUNICATION STUDIES HALL, formerly the Boiling Springs Elementary School, was acquired in 1990. It houses the Communication Studies department, Art department offices and Theatre department offices; the Millennium Playhouse; and classrooms for journalism, photography, television, radio, theatre, and art.
CRAIG HALL is named in memory of Hubert M. Craig, Sr., of Gaston County, a former trustee of Gardner-Webb University. The building was renovated in 1998 and houses classrooms and offices for the School of Education and English department.
DECKER HALL, housing 135 students, was named in memory of James Webb Decker Gardner, the son of the late Mr. and Mrs O. Max Gardner, Sr. Built in 1948, the three-story brick structure was completely renovated in 1986.
DOVER CAMPUS CENTER, constructed in 1966, was completely renovated in 1990 with additional renovations in 2006-07. It houses the cafeteria, several lounges, the financial planning center, Ritch Banquet Hall, and the undergraduate admissions offices, along with other office space. The building is named in memory of Charles I. Dover of Shelby.
DOVER MEMORIAL LIBRARY is named in memory of Mr. and Mrs. John R. Dover, Sr., pioneer industrialists of Cleveland County. The three-story structure, erected in 1974, is designed to provide seating for over 450 students. The library is equipped with computer technology which provides access to libraries around the world. The holdings include several special book collections, the most notable being the library of the local post-Civil War author Thomas Dixon, and the diaries and scrapbooks of the late Mrs. O. Max Gardner. The library houses the Belk-Ellis Computer Center, provided by the William Ellis family of Shelby, N.C., and the Belk Foundation. The recently renovated main floor showcases a modern, open floor plan with all new carpet and furniture, a display area for scholarly exhibits and galleries, and an upgraded vending area with hot and cold drinks, and fresh salads and sandwiches. Dover Memorial Library is also home to the Gardner-Webb Archives, located on the upper level. Rare photographs, historical manuscripts and university publications are available to all for viewing and research. These archives represent historical perspectives of Gardner-Webb University.
DOVER MEMORIAL CHAPEL is a graceful and inspiring structure which stands at the formal entrance to the campus. Erected in 1972, the interior features a 336-seat auditorium. The lower level houses administrative offices and classrooms.
ELLIOTT HALL, originally constructed in 1952, honors the memory of the seventh president of the University. Renovated in 1985, the building houses the School of Nursing and classrooms.
ELLIOTT HOUSE houses the University radio station, WGWG.org and University Communications.
FRANK NANNEY HALL is a 12,000-square-foot building and is home to the Noel Program for Students with Disabilities and the Department of Social Sciences. The building consists of classroom space, production labs, testing centers and office space and is located near the Lake Hollifield Complex and the Boiling Springs. The building was finished in Summer 2008 and was made possible by many generous donations including a substantial lead gift from Frank Nanney, a Gardner-Webb trustee from Rutherford County.
GARDNER MEMORIAL HALL, completed in 1948, was constructed and furnished by the family of the late Governor O. Max Gardner. The building contains a recital hall, music studios and offices, classrooms, practice rooms, a band room and the campus computer technology offices. This building is also home to the Music Department.
GARDNER-WEBB FOOTBALL CENTER, part of Spangler Stadium, contains a fitness center for GWU student-athletes, athletic training offices, football staff offices, a large multipurpose room for conferences and special events, and the Stadium press boxes, VIP suites, and observation decks.
GOLF CENTER, located one mile south of the main campus, provides office and locker facilities for the golf teams as well as a driving range for university and public use.
GRADUATE HOUSE, located on Memorial Drive, houses academic offices for the Graduate School.
GRADUATE ADMISSIONS HOUSE, located on West College Ave., provides offices for Gardner-Webb Graduate Admissions.
HAMRICK FIELD HOUSE, named in honor of V.F. Hamrick of Shelby, houses the coaching offices for Soccer and Track and Field, locker rooms and academic/athletic services.
HAMRICK HALL was built after World War I as a memorial to area residents who gave their lives for the cause of freedom. It was destroyed by fire and rebuilt in 1940. In 1943, the rebuilt structure was named in memory of E.B. Hamrick. In 1982, the building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 1998, the building was completely renovated and now houses the Godbold School of Business, the Broyhill School of Management and the George Blanton, Jr., Auditorium with a seating capacity of 311.
HOEY-ANTHONY-PADGETT-YOUNG (H.A.P.Y.) HALL houses 78 students and was completely renovated in 1986. The central section of the residence hall was constructed in 1946, and the wings were added in 1948 to form an open quadrangle. The east wing is named in memory of the Reverend John W. Suttle of Shelby, and the west wing is named in memory of A.W. McMurry of Shelby. Hoey-Anthony is the first floor of the central building, named in memory of Senator Clyde R. Hoey and his wife, Bess Gardner Hoey, of Shelby; and in memory of J.A. Anthony and his wife, Ollie Gardner Anthony, of Shelby. Padgett-Young is the second floor, named in memory of Tilden R. Padgett and his wife, Cleo King Padgett, of Forest City; and in memory of Dr. Guilford Young and his wife, Florence Jackson Young, of Forest City.
JOHN HENRY MOSS STADIUM, completed in 2010, includes a baseball stadium seating 587. The facility is named for John Henry Moss of Kings Mountain and the field is named in honor of Bill Masters of Shelby.
LAKE HOLLIFIELD COMPLEX is named in memory of Mr. and Mrs. Hughy H. Hollifield, Gardner-Webb alumnus and trustee respectively. The lake is surrounded by walking trails, picnic areas and a bell tower with a forty-eight-bell carillon.
LINDSAY HALL was completed in 1967 and completely renovated in 1992. This three-story structure was named in memory of David and Winifred Herbert Lindsay, of Rutherfordton. The building houses the M. Christopher White School of Divinity, the Religion department, the School of Psychology and Counseling, and classrooms.
LUTZ-YELTON CONVOCATION CENTER, completed in 1982, serves as the center of cultural and athletic activities for the area. Included in the Center is the 555-seat Kathleen Nolan Dover Theatre. The stage is fully equipped to handle all types of dramatic productions and concerts. Also included in the Center is the Paul Porter Arena, which seats approximately 3,000 for Runnin' Bulldog indoor sports and other events and meetings. Classrooms, offices for athletic administration and coaches, sports information, handball courts and athletic training facilities complete the Center.
LUTZ-YELTON HALL houses 91 students. Completed in 1963, the building is named for the former Lutz-Yelton Companies of Shelby.
MASTERS ATHLETIC FACILITY, formerly the Springs Athletic Facility, was renamed in 2011 to recognize the outstanding generosity and service of Bill and Sue Masters. It houses baseball and tennis offices, dressing facilities, and a batting tunnel for the baseball and softball teams.
MAUNEY HALL is a four-story brick structure completed in 1965. It houses 104 students and is named in honor of Mr. and Mrs. W.K. Mauney, Sr., and in memory of Mr. and Mrs D.C. Mauney of Kings Mountain.
MYERS HALL, named in memory of Albert G. Myers, Sr., of Gastonia, was completed in 1967. The two-story brick structure houses 62 students.
NANNEY RESIDENCE HALL, completed in 1967 and renovated in 1993, is a two-story brick structure which houses 62 students. Nanney Hall is named in memory of C.P. and Irene B. Nanney of Gastonia.
NOEL HALL, built in 1992, is a two-story brick structure which houses the M. Christopher White School of Divinity and academic classrooms. The hall is named in memory of Dr. and Mrs. George T. Noel, of Kannapolis, N.C.
NOEL HOUSE was named in 1986 in memory of Dr. and Mrs. George T. Noel, of Kannapolis, N.C., and now houses the Department of World Languages, Literatures, and Cultures.
THE PLANT OPERATIONS OFFICES are located just south of the main campus on Highway 150.
POSTON CENTER, named for Dr. Gene Poston, Gardner-Webb’s eighth president, contains a visitors’ center, the Gardner-Webb Police Department offices and the Graduate School offices.
ROTC HOUSE, located on Memorial Drive, houses the Military Science Department and the Gardner-Webb ROTC program.
ROYSTER HALL, which houses 54 students, was formerly Royster Memorial Hospital. When the Crawley Memorial Hospital was completed in 1977, the one-story brick building was renovated for residence hall use.
SPANGLER MEMORIAL STADIUM, completed in 1966 and renovated in 2004, includes a football stadium seating 8,600, a track, and a fully equipped field house. The facility is named in memory of Ernest W. and Verna Patrick Spangler of Shelby. The field house is named in honor of V.F. Hamrick of Shelby.
SPANGLER HALL was constructed in 1968 and houses 93 students. The three-story brick building is named in memory of R. Patrick Spangler of Shelby.
SPRINGS ATHLETIC FACILITY, constructed in 2000, houses baseball and tennis program offices as well as baseball dressing facilities. Included in the facility is a batting tunnel for the baseball and softball teams.
STROUP HALL houses 101 students and was completely renovated in 1986. The three-story brick structure is named in memory of Mrs. Mae Cline Stroup.
STUDIO 150, located on Memorial Drive, houses offices and studios of music faculty.
SUTTLE HALL, the east wing of the H.A.P.Y. complex, is named in memory of the Reverend John W. Suttle. It contains faculty and staff office space.
SUTTLE WELLNESS CENTER was completed in 2000 and is named in memory of J.L. Suttle, Jr., of Shelby, N.C. Added as a wing to the University Physical Development Complex, the Suttle Wellness Center contains a wellness/fitness center with state-of-the-art exercise equipment, a free weight room, an aerobics room and a student recreation area.
TUCKER STUDENT CENTER, located adjacent to the Lake Hollifield Complex, opened in 2012 and was named to recognize the substantial generosity of Bob, Carolyn and Lisa Tucker, longtime friends and trustees to the University. It serves as the central location for student services and houses the Student Development offices, the Gardner-Webb Campus Shop, the Campus Post Office, the Writing Center, a three-story climbing wall, a foodcourt-style dining area, a coffee shop, and the multifunctional Stewart Hall, named for the family of local entrepreneur and champion of Christian higher education, Frank Stewart.
UNIVERSITY COMMONS is a student apartment complex of ten buildings located on campus on Stadium Drive. Overlooking beautiful Lake Hollifield, the buildings were built in 1997,1999, 2004, 2009, 2010, and 2011. It offers suite-style accommodations, including private bedrooms, for nearly 600 residents.
UNIVERSITY PHYSICAL DEVELOPMENT COMPLEX consists of the Suttle Wellness Center, the Bost Gymnasium and Pool, and the office suite for the Department of Physical Education, Wellness and Sports Studies.
WASHBURN HALL was purchased and completely renovated in 1990. The building contains the admissions and advising offices of the College for Extended Professional Studies (GOAL). It is named in honor of Dr. and Mrs. Gene Washburn of Boiling Springs, N.C. In fact, the building was formerly the location of Dr. Washburn's medical practice.
WASHBURN MEMORIAL BUILDING is a brick structure erected in 1941 by Seaton A. Washburn in memory of the Washburn families. Originally used as a library, the building was renovated in early 2009 and now serves as a clinical site for the School of Psychology and Counseling.
WEBB HALL was built by the O. Max Gardner Foundation in memory of Mrs. O. Max (Fay Webb) Gardner, her parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents. The first wing was completed in 1960, and the second wing was added in 1973. The building houses administrative offices, including the office of the president. In front of Webb Hall is the Suttle-Wall Tower of Light. The tower, built in 1969, is in memory of Joseph Linton Suttle and Dr. Zeno Wall.
WEBB TENNIS COMPLEX, constructed in 2000, is one of the premier tennis facilities in the region. The twelve courts are ideal for intercollegiate and recreational play. The courts are lighted for evening play.
WILLIAMS OBSERVATORY, named in honor of Gardner-Webb’s ninth president Dr. Craven E. Williams, was built in 1990. The observatory is host to numerous astronomy-related events throughout the year including regional conferences and public star-gazing events.
WITHROW MATHEMATICS AND SCIENCE HALL, named in memory of A.T. Withrow of Charlotte, has facilities for mathematics, biology, chemistry, and physics. The building was renovated in 2012 to add a new Science Laboratory Center, more than doubling the building's size and adding much-needed laboratory space and research technology for the sciences.
Visitors to Gardner-Webb University are welcome at all times. The administrative offices are open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Interviews and campus tours are available between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday or by appointment with the Admissions Office. Administrative officers and members of the faculty are available at other times by appointment. Those interested in scheduling personal visits should contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at 800-253-6472.
Gardner-Webb University is in the town of Boiling Springs, N.C., a community just outside Shelby. The University is only 13 miles from Interstate 85 and three miles from U.S 74. It is accessible to airline services at Charlotte, N.C., and Greenville-Spartanburg, S.C. The number is (704) 406-4000. The FAX number is (704) 406-4FAX (4329) .
If a personal visit to campus is not possible, the University can be experienced on the Internet at www.gardner-webb.edu. Interested persons may log on to the website for all the latest information about campus life, academic programs, athletics and other events making news at GWU. Prospective students can take a campus tour, submit questions about the university, and even apply for admission through the web site.