Grades and Reports


Grades and grade points represent the instructor’s final estimate of the student’s performance in a course. A student earns quality points as well as semester hours if the level of performance does not fall below that of “D.” The table below lists the letter grades, the interpretation of each of the grades and the quality points for each hour of credit.


GradesHours Attempted Per Credit HourQuality Points Per Credit Hour
FX- Failure for Academic Dishonesty10
FD- Dimensions Failure00
P- Passing (With Approval)00
I- Incomplete10
IN- Incomplete (With Approval)00
W- Withdrew00
WP- Withdrew Passing00
WF- Withdrew Failing10
@F- Administrative Failure10
@W- Administrative Withdrawal (Student never attended)00
NG- No Grade Reported00
TR- Transfer HoursHours Credit OnlyHours Credit Only
CR- Credit HoursHours Credit OnlyHours Credit Only
AU- Auditor00
E- Course Repeated00
I- Later or Higher Attempt Computed According to Grade1Multiplied by quality points For final grade


An “I” is assigned where course work is not complete because of circumstances beyond the control of the student. The student has up to 90 days to complete the course work and remove the “I”; otherwise an “F” will be automatically assigned by the Registrar’s Office.


A “W” will be assigned when a student withdraws from a course during the first 25% of the semester. After the first 25% of the semester, a WF or WP is assigned by the professor based upon the professor’s assessment of the student’s work to date in the course. Summer and Minimester withdrawal dates are published in registration materials. A grade of WF will have the same effect on the student’s GPA as having completed the course and receiving an F.


@W - This grade represents an administrative withdrawal from a course. It would be assigned to any student listed on the official class roll who has never attended or participated in an online class.


@F - This grade represents an administrative failure of a course. It could be assigned by either the professor or the registrar’s office to any student who ceases to attend class or who otherwise exceeds to permissible number of absences in a course. This grade would be treated the same as the basic “F”; it would count against the student’s grade-point average and would be repeatable under the same provisions as outlined in the university catalog.


The last date for withdrawing from an individual course will be a date not to exceed 75% of the course (including summer school and Minimesters). After this time the only courses which will be dropped are those which a student drops when withdrawing from the University.


Once a grade has been submitted to the Registrar, it will not be changed except in the event of a clerical error or an error in calculation, or as a result of the appeal process.


For the policy concerning the appeal of a grade, see the section entitled Academic Appeals.



The student’s general academic performance is indicated by a Grade Point Average. This figure is determined by dividing earned quality points by attempted semester hours. Three Grade Point Averages are significant for each student: the semester GPA, the GPA for all work taken at Gardner-Webb and the overall GPA which includes any work taken at other institutions as well as the student’s work at Gardner-Webb. The overall GPA is used for University-related agencies, Alpha Sigma Lamdba advisor, and departments requiring overall GPA and includes all work attempted at previous educational institutions. Students must achieve a minimum GPA of 2.0 on all work taken at Gardner-Webb to qualify for graduation.



Each student receives a course grade at the end of the semester. Final grades can be accessed by going online at



A minimum of 128 semester hours is required for the baccalaureate degree. All candidates for graduation must take their final 32 hours with Gardner-Webb University. Students transferring from junior colleges are required to complete a minimum of 64 semester hours of subsequent study in senior colleges or universities, with at least the final 32 hours with Gardner-Webb.


A student must have a minimum grade of 2.0 on each course counted toward the major. A transfer student is required to complete at least one-half of the major (15 semester hours) at Gardner-Webb.



Each student is responsible for fulfilling all requirements for the chosen degree program. In cooperation with his/her advisor, the student is also responsible for filing an Application for Graduation with the Registrar as posted on the academic calendar. Students must apply for graduation by the published deadline listed on the academic calendar. Specific deadlines will be published and a $125 late fee will be imposed after the deadline date. A final deadline will also be published after which applications will be carried forward to the next scheduled commencement. All candidates are required to be present at Commencement. The University is not obligated to grant a degree to any candidate for graduation who does not attend the exercises. Students who cannot attend commencement will be required to contact the office of the Registrar in writing requesting to be excused.


Semester Honors

Two lists of honor students are posted each semester:


  1. Dean’s list - Students enrolled for a minimum of 12 hours and fewer than 15 must have a 4.0 Gardner-Webb Grade Point Average, and one taking 15 hours or more must have a 3.7 or better with no grade below C (2.0).
  2. Honor roll - Students enrolled for a minimum of 12 hours and fewer than 15 hours must have a 3.5 Gardner-Webb Grade Point Average with no grade below C (2.0), and one taking 15 or more hours must have between a 3.2 and 3.7 average with no grade below C (2.0).


Graduation Honors

To be considered for baccalaureate honors a graduating student must complete a minimum of 64 hours at Gardner-Webb, and his or her GPA for that work taken here must merit honors.   Those in the graduating class with a GPA of 3.8 or above will receive honors. Those with a 3.8-3.89 will receive cum laude. Those with a 3.9-3.94 will receive magna cum laude.  Those with a 3.95-4.0 will receive summa cum laude.


DCP Academic Award

At graduation exercises, the DCP Academic Award is presented to the DCP student with the highest academic grade point average. This grade point average first considers those with the highest Gardner-Webb grade point average. In the case of a tie, the grade point average for all work accepted for transfer to Gardner-Webb is incorporated into the calculation.



Gardner-Webb University complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. This Act is designed to protect the privacy of educational records, to establish the right of students to inspect and review their educational records, and to provide guidelines for the correction of inaccurate or misleading data through informal and formal hearings. Students also have the right to file complaints with The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act Office (FERPA) concerning alleged failures by the institution to comply with the Act.


Institutional policy explains in detail the procedures to be used by the institution for compliance with the provisions of the Act. Copies of the policy can be found in the Office of the Registrar. That office also maintains a Directory of Records which lists all student educational records maintained by this institution. Information known as Directory Information will be published unless the student specifically requests the Registrar’s Office to withhold this information. Directory Information is defined as the following: student name, local and permanent addresses, telephone numbers, date of birth, major(s), dates of attendance, previous educational institutions attended, and degree and awards received.


Questions concerning the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act may be referred to the Office of the Registrar.


Students may grant permission to University personnel to release information pertaining to academic records, financial aid, and billing to specified individuals by completing the F.E.R.P.A. release form located on their personal information menu in WebbConnect. Using this form, students are able to specify up to three individuals to whom information may be released.



Online learning is a method of delivering coursework that is rapidly gaining prominence in American higher education. Gardner-Webb University offers a number of fully online courses, as well as web-enhanced face-to-face courses. Undergraduate Degree Completion Programs offered completely online include: Accounting, Business Administration, Computer Information Systems, Entrepreneurship, Elementary Education, Healthcare Management, Religious Studies, and Nursing.



Requests for copies of a student’s record should be made to the Office of the Registrar. All transcripts will reflect the student’s complete academic record. No transcripts will be issued without the written authorization of the student. No transcript will be issued for a student who has a financial obligation to the University. Transcript information may be obtained by contacting Registrar Services.



Students who wish to insure that courses taken at other accredited institutions during a regular term or summer session are applicable for Gardner-Webb credit must complete a “Request to Recognize Transient Credit” form. This form must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office no later than the last class day of the semester prior to the requested semester of study.


Transient credit requests will be considered only for students who are in good academic standing at the University, and thus may not be used to improve academic standing at Gardner-Webb.


The following restrictions apply to the approval of transient credit. Transient credit:


  1. will be awarded only for courses that are applicable toward graduation at the host institution.
  2. will only be awarded for courses in which a grade of “C” (2.0) or better is earned.
  3. will not be awarded for courses for which a student previously earned credit at Gardner-Webb, C, D+, D, and D-.
  4. may not be earned to repeat a C-, D+, D-, F, @F, and WF earned at Gardner-Webb University.
  5. payment of $50 processing fee.


Transient credit requests will not automatically be approved for students in their final year of study at Gardner-Webb (the final 24 hours for a student enrolled in AA Degree in Nursing Program and the final 32 hours for a student seeking either the BS or BA degree). Students requesting transient credit during this time frame must have the approval of the appropriate Associate Provost. In addition to the “Request to Recognize Transient Credit” form, the “Request to Waive 24/32 Hour Rule” form must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office at least two weeks before the last class day of the semester prior to the requested semester of study.


In order to insure that transient credit is properly documented, the student must request an official transcript from the host institution be forwarded to the Gardner-Webb Registrar. For a student taking a transient credit during the final semester of study, all such transcripts must be on file in the Registrar’s Office prior to that semester’s commencement ceremonies. Transient transcripts not received by this deadline will cause the student’s graduation date to be delayed.



Credit by Exam is an in-depth and comprehensive assessment of the student’s ability to answer questions in course content. An acceptable grade on the examination will permit the student to receive credit for the course.


To request the opportunity to receive credit by exam, the student must present, in writing, justification for such an examination to the dean of the school or chair of the department in which the course is offered.


The dean of the school or chair of the department will appoint a committee to review the request. If the request is approved, the dean or chair will appoint the examining professor or committee and inform the business office that the student should be charged an examination fee of $125.00 per credit hour.


If the examination results are acceptable, the examining professor or committee will report the results, via the Certification of Successful Challenge Examination form, to the dean of the school or chair of the department. That dean or chair will send a copy of the form to the Registrar, who will credit the student with the appropriate number of hours for the course. No grade will be assigned or averaged into the quality point average.



An undergraduate student who has a question about an academic decision should consult the University official responsible for the decision. Gardner-Webb protects the interests and rights of students by a procedure whereby decisions about the following issues may be appealed: academic probation, academic suspension, transfer credits, graduation requirements, and grades. With the exception of grade appeals, the student must make all appeals, in writing, no more than eighteen months after the date of the decision being appealed.


Academic Probation and Suspension

Appeals of academic probation and suspension decisions are made directly to the Provost.


Transfer Credits and Graduation Requirements

Appeals of transfer credits are made through the advisor, the Registrar, and the course major department/school, in that order. The appropriate department chair or school dean has the final decision and cannot be further appealed.


Appeals of graduation requirements are made through the advisor, the department chair or dean of the appropriate major, and the Educational Policies and Standards Committee (EPSC). Decisions of the EPSC are final and cannot be further appealed. The student must make the appeal in writing on his or her own behalf.



A student who has a question about a grade should consult the professor as soon as possible. A student who believes a grade to be inaccurate or unfair may appeal to the professor, department chair or dean, and the Educational Policies and Standards Committee, in that order. Decisions of the EPSC are final and cannot be further appealed. The last date to initiate a grade appeal is the end of the next fall or spring semester. Email notification of approved and processed grade changes will be sent to the student, the professor, and the advisor.


Academic Appeal Filing Forms may be obtained from Registrar Services (Dover Campus Center, Phone: (704) 406-4260). The appeal document should include the student's local or permanent address, University email address, student ID number, and a current phone number where he or she may be reached. All appeals should be signed and dated. Appeals made on behalf of the student by another party (e.g. faculty, official of the institution, another student, or a parent) will be dismissed. Supporting documentation submitted by a member of the faculty or administration to augment or clarify the student's appeal is welcome and will be given full consideration.



Standards for acceptable academic progress at Gardner-Webb University are set to assist students in assessing the quality of their performance. Academic probation and suspension are used to alert students to potentially serious academic difficulty in their progress toward degrees.


Students are placed on academic probation as a warning that their level of academic achievement is falling below the level expected of students in their class. Should their academic achievement not improve, they are in danger of being suspended from the University.


Students will be placed on probation when their Gardner-Webb Grade Point Average falls below these minimum standards:


Juniors with 60 to 89 hours . . . . . . . . . .1.9

Seniors with 90 hours and above . . . . . .2.0


A student placed on academic probation remains on probation for the entire semester. The student will register for no more than 15 credit hours during any semester on probation.


In order to be removed from academic probation, the student’s Gardner-Webb GPA must return to the appropriate minimum standard. If the student fails to bring the grade point average to a satisfactory level during the probationary semester but the semester’s GPA is at or above the minimum required, probation will be continued for another semester.


If at any time while on academic probation the student’s semester Gardner-Webb GPA falls below the minimum requirement, the student will be suspended for one semester. After the one-semester suspension, a student desiring readmission must submit a formal application for readmission. If approved, the student may register for classes and will be automatically placed on academic probation.


Should a second or third academic suspension occur (even if the first or second suspension is waived on appeal), the student must remain out for at least two semesters. After a two-semester suspension from the University, the student must submit a formal application for readmission. If readmission is granted, the student may register for classes and will be automatically placed on academic probation.


A student who wishes to appeal being placed on academic probation or suspension may do so through the office of the Provost. Suspensions that are waived on appeal are still noted on the students academic transcript. Students on either academic or disciplinary suspension are not allowed to participate in dramatic, musical, athletic, or other practice sessions since they are not to represent the University or participate in the public performance of such events.


Summer study at Gardner-Webb University may be used to improve one’s academic standing. However, a student who is on academic probation or suspension may not use study at another institution to improve his/her Gardner-Webb academic standing.



A student may officially withdraw from a class at any time during the first 75% of a semester or summer term. A grade of “W” (withdraw) is recorded for the course during the first 25% of the semester. After the first 25% of the semester a “WP” (withdraw passing) or “WF” (withdraw failing) is assigned by the professor based upon the professor’s assessment of the student’s work to date in the course. Students whose withdrawal from courses results in less than a 12 hour enrollment may lose financial aid and will be liable for payment of tuition for all changes.


To withdraw please follow the directions listed below:


  1. Log onto WebbConnect
  2. Click on Registration
  3. Click Withdrawl information 


(click on the link to fill out the online form.)


Notification of the request is sent to the student upon the processing of the withdrawal



Voluntary termination of enrollment during a semester or summer term is defined as withdrawal.


Dismissal from school for a specified period of time is defined as suspension, and expulsion is dismissal for an unspecified period of time. The University reserves the right to suspend or expel any student or students when it believes that such action is in the best interest of the institution and/or the student(s). This action will take place only after careful consideration and consultation with the student or students in question and all other parties with information pertinent to the matter at hand.


Any student leaving school before the end of a term (up until the last day of classes) is required to contact the Registrar’s Office at (704) 406-4260 or complete and submit the online "complete withdrawal form" from the Registrar Services page. Honorable withdrawal is granted only if these procedures are followed. Failure to complete this procedure will result in grades of “F” on all coursework.


Involuntary withdrawals will be processed by the University for any student that receives a disciplinary suspension or expulsion from the University. The involuntary withdrawal will be processed and dated based on the date of the suspension or expulsion.


Students leaving the University for disciplinary reasons will not be eligible for any reduction and will be liable for the entire semester charges.



Any registered student who experiences medical trauma or a chronic illness that may prevent completing the semester may apply for a medical withdrawal from the University. A medical withdrawal request must be filed with the Registrar’s Office prior to the start of final exams and must include documentation submitted from a physician or psychologist trained in the diagnosis of the medical condition.


A qualifying medical condition, as determined by the physician or psychologist, must prevent the student from participating in all classes remaining during the current semester. A medical withdrawal is a complete withdrawal from the University. The supporting documentation from a physician or psychologist accompanying the medical withdrawal request must be submitted on official letterhead from the physician or psychologist and must be addressed to the Gardner-Webb University Registrar. The medical documentation must also include the physician or psychologist’s name, title, professional credentials, license or certification number, and should address the following:


  1. Specific diagnoses and findings.
  2. Date the examination, assessment, or evaluation was performed.
  3. In the event that the medical withdrawal is the result of an injury or accident, the date the injury or accident occurred.
  4. In the event the medical withdrawal is due to chronic illness, the date the illness made it necessary to stop attending classes.


A student will be notified of the approval decision following a review of the medical documentation. If the request is approved, the student will receive a final grade of “W” for each class (except in instances of Academic Dishonesty).


Upon medical withdraw from the University a student must apply for readmission to the University to continue studies. The student must provide documentation from the same physician or psychologist, when possible, stating the student is able to continue academic studies at the university. This documentation should follow the same format as above.