Financial Aid

Financial Assistance

All requests for financial aid assistance should be directed to the Financial Planning Office of the University. Financial aid awards are made following a determination of the applicant’s admission and eligibility. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required for determination of eligibility. The FAFSA can be completed online at


Gardner-Webb University admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletic and other school-administered programs.


A. Federal

1. PELL GRANTS - Grants available to students who have an exceptional need as indicated by their expected family contribution (EFC), which is determined from the results of the FAFSA. These grants range from $605 to $5730 per year. Awards are prorated for students who are taking less than the full-time requirement of 12 hours per semester.


2. FEDERAL DIRECT STAFFORD LOANS - Federal loans which are available to students who are enrolled at least half-time (6 hours or more). The maximum amount a student can borrow is $12,500 per year provided they have earned at least 60 hours. Repayment begins 6 months after a student drops below half-time status, withdraws, or graduates. The maximum repayment term is ten years.


a. DIRECT SUBSIDIZED STAFFORD LOANS - The interest on subsidized loans is paid by the federal government while the student is enrolled half-time or more. Six months after the student graduates, leaves school, or falls below half-time status, interest begins to accrue. These loans are need-based.

b. DIRECT UNSUBSIDIZED STAFFORD LOANS - Interest on unsubsidized loans begins to accrue at the time the loan is made. The student may begin payment of the interest at that time, or he/she may allow the interest to capitalize. These loans are available to all students who are enrolled half-time (6 hours) or more.


NOTE: The FAFSA must be completed prior to each academic year to qualify for federal aid.


B. In-State


A list of State Programs for eligible North Carolina residents (funding contingent upon state appropriations) is as follows:


The North Carolina Need Based Scholarship Program (NBS) is a grant program created by the State legislature for students with an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of $15,000 or less. The EFC is determined by the results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).


The Forgivable Education Loan for Service (FELS) was established by the North Carolina General Assembly in 2011. The loan provides financial assistance to qualified students who are committed to working in North Carolina in fields designated as critical employment shortage areas. Please visit for additional information including eligibility, award amounts, application procedures, and approved education programs.


North Carolina does offer other sources of financial aid based on specific criteria. The College Foundation of North Carolina's website can be used to research and apply for such scholarships. The web address is as follows:


C. DCP Out of State Grant

Those students who are not North Carolina residents are eligible for a grant worth $1000 per year. The student must enroll full time (12 hours or more) to receive this grant.


NOTE: The DCP Out of State Grant is not need based, and does not require a FAFSA. You must make the Financial Planning Office aware that you meet the qualifications to receive this grant.


Follow these steps to apply for Financial Aid


1. Apply for admission to Gardner-Webb’s Degree Completion Program.


2. Initiate the financial aid process by completing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students are encouraged to complete this form as soon as their previous year’s tax forms are completed. (For example: The info from the 2013 federal tax forms are needed for the FAFSA for the  2014-2015 school year.) The FAFSA form is available on the web at


NOTE: A new FAFSA must be submitted every year in order to be considered for federal financial aid.


NOTE: Be sure to indicate Gardner-Webb as one of the schools to receive any reports resulting from your financial aid application by recording our Title IV code of 002929 where requested.


3. Any student planning to start the Degree Completion Program in the summer must complete the current year FAFSA form. For example, if you plan on starting with the summer of 2014, you must complete the 2013-2014 FAFSA.


4. Once your FAFSA is completed, the results will be sent electronically to Gardner-Webb to determine your financial aid eligibility. An email notification and instructions to view and process your financial aid award will be sent to your Gardner-Webb e-mail address.


5. Please check the Eligibility & Requirements section within your WebbConnect account to view all requested documentation and missing requirements. Any outstanding requirements must be satisfied to finalize your financial aid award.