How to Become a LEAP Tutor
LEAP tutoring staff consists of 12-16 tutors each semester. Our tutors bring an array of skills, talents, backgrounds, and interests to our tutoring program. Peer tutoring provides tutors with the chance to explore career interests associated with teaching and/or other service related professions.
Peer tutoring may be a good job for you if you:
- Like to help your friends study
- Enjoy talking with faculty about course material
- Understand learning is different for everyone
- Are committed to academic success for yourself and others
In order to better determine if Peer Tutoring is a good fit for you, please review the following helpful links:
LEAP is committed to hiring competent and caring tutors. Currently, LEAP is in the process of becoming an Internationally Certified Tutoring Program through CRLA. The certification process is a rigorous and rewarding process, as each LEAP tutor will need to meet the required training hours and expectations in order to become a certified tutor. Details regarding the training requirements and processes can be found on the CRLA website, or you may contact the LEAP Director, Meredith Garrett, if you have specific questions.
Minimum Qualifications for Applying to Become a LEAP Peer Tutor
- You must be a currently enrolled undergraduate student at Gardner-Webb University.
- You must have a minimum 3.0 overall GPA (if you have completed one or more semesters).
- LEAP prefers that you have made, or are currently making, an “A” in the course(s) you wish to tutor.
- You must receive faculty recommendation/approval to tutor the course(s) you wish to tutor. The LEAP Director will speak with the appropriate faculty member(s) to obtain approval.
- You must complete the LEAP tutoring application.
If you are interested in becoming a LEAP Peer Tutor, please read through and complete the following
LEAP tutor Application.